I was definitely not as productive as I wanted to be today. I failed at completing “Project Kitchen Organization” [that’s what I’m calling it now]. Sigh…
I did make my friend’s birthday present though. I just have to remember to mail it tomorrow. Maybe I’ll write myself a post it and stick it to my forehead. Yes, I’ve contemplated doing that from time to time. Don’t judge.
I did know what I wanted to make for dinner tonight though. An old favorite!
Linguine with white clam sauce!
Now growing up we never made this from scratch. It only came out of a can. About a year or so ago I was craving it, but didn’t want to canned stuff. So I experimented and came up with a fabulous recipe!
The ingredients are really basic:
Chopped garlic, chopped onion, clam juice, lemon [not pictured], linguine [I used whole grain], clams [I used TJ’s Cherrystone clams], red pepper flakes, dried oregano, salt and pepper, butter, olive oil.
Heat up some olive oil in a saute pan. Once it’s hot [not smoking hot] add your garlic, onion, red pepper flake and dried oregano.
Once the onions are translucent, I deglazed the pan with some white wine [I used pinot grigio] and the clam juice.
Let that bubble away for a few minutes and let the alcohol cook off.
Make sure you have cooked your linguine!
Once the sauce has thickened a bit, I squeezed half a lemon in there to give it a little zip!
Then add the chopped clams to the sauce and let them warm through.
To finish off the sauce, add a pat of butter and swirl in.
Taste it for seasonings, but it should be good to go!
All you have to do now is toss the cooked linguine in the clam sauce and top with some fresh cheese!!!
I served it with a piece of toasted rosemary bread with olive oil.
The one thing that is missing that I usually use, but didn’t have on hand today was parsley!! Usually I think parsley is a bore, but I really like it in this dish!
Have fun twirling it with a fork!
Like the Italians say, Mangia Mangia!
Linguine with White Clam Sauce
Serves 2 to 3 [depending on how hungry you are 🙂 ]
Half of a box of Linguine [I used whole grain]
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 of a White onion, diced
Clam juice [Reserve the juice from the canned clams! A good 5-6 oz]
Clams, 6.5 oz. can [I used TJ’s Cherrystone clams]
Half of a Lemon, juiced
Red pepper flakes, about 1 tsp [depending on how hot you like it]
Dried oregano, about 1 tsp [no biggy if you go over. I estimated it anyways]
Olive oil, a few tsp.
Butter, one pat
Method of Prep:
1. Get a pot of salted water on the stove and bring to a boil. Add the linguine and cook for about 7-8 minutes or until al dente. Drain and set aside.
2. Heat enough olive oil to coat a saute pan on medium heat. Add the minced garlic, chopped onions, red pepper flakes and dried oregano. Stir frequently and cook until the onions are translucent.
3. Deglaze the pan with the white wine and clam juice. Scrape the bottom of the pan to get all the good bits off the bottom. Let bubble away for a few minutes or until it thickens and the alcohol cooks off.
4. Squeeze in lemon juice and add the chopped clams so they can get warmed through.
5. Finish the sauce with a pat of butter.
6. Toss the cooked linguine with the sauce until coated thoroughly. Plate and top with your favorite cheese! Serve with some crusty bread of your liking!
Hope you guys enjoy this recipe!! It’s up for interpretation so give it a try and let me know if you do!!
Busy, busy prep day tomorrow at work!! Definitely will be having a case of the mondays!!!